Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Honey Lime Fruit Salad

Here is my farewell to summer. While the weather seems to refuse to believe it is fall, stores have moved from school supplies to Christmas decorations. Since I can’t freeze time and prolong summer, at least I can give you a quick and yummy way to enjoy the flavors of summer year round.  In my mind, summer is connected with citrus, especially limes. I think it is the combination of delicious smell, bright flavor, and wonderful color. When I saw this recipe combining limes and fruit, I knew it was going to be a hit.

Honey Lime Fruit Salad
Adapted From My Kitchen Cafe

1 large can pineapple chunks- drained
1 can mandarin oranges-drained  
3 ripe kiwi, peeled and sliced into thick half moons
1 cup halved green grapes
1 cup strawberries sliced in quarters
Zest from one lime
1-2 tablespoon lime juice
Any other fruit in season (I used blackberries)
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Combine the fruit in a medium-large serving bowl (except for any juicy berries, gently place those in just before serving). Add the lime zest, juice, and poppy seeds and gently toss. Drizzle the honey over the fruit and again, gently mix until the fruit is evenly coated with the honey (it helps to microwave the honey for a few seconds; this will make it runny and easier to mix in). Serve as soon as possible, since some of the fruits (mainly the berries) will stain the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment